June 24, 2024
P.O.Box 613ER Gombilla House, Lamashegu Market, Tamale, Northern Region

47% of females engage in drug abuse ~ NOCOC

The Narcotics Control Commission has hinted that 47 per cent of female between the ages of 15 to 65 are engaging in drug abuse.

The world commemorate International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Drug Trafficking on June 26, annually. Theme for this year’s celebration is ‘’People first: stop stigma and discrimination, strengthen prevention”.

But Acting Director-Public Affairs and International Relations at Narcotics Control Commission (NACOC), Francis Opoku Amoah explained that, the women are also now abusing drugs

He mentioned that, they visited some rehabilitation centers and figures from the centers showed that, 47% of female are into drug abuse.

“Previously, when we talk about drug abuse, you will think about men but now figures from the rehabilitation centers we visited revealed that,  fifty 53% of male between the ages of 15-65 are engaging in drug abuse while the remaining 47% are female .But so far, male are still dominating drug abuse in the country.”

Mr. Amoah said peer pressure, adventurous as factors that drag the men into such act whereas relationships, peer pressure and exploratory among the things leading the woman into it.

He was speaking with Akua Boakyewaa Yiadom on Adom FM’s programme, Burning Issues.

Acting Director – Public Affairs and International Relations at Narcotics Control Commission was asked how the state can curb this menace, he answered by saying most of those abusing the drugs are ignorant about the effects on them so there is the need for massive education to sensitize the youth about the dangers of drug abuse on their lives and the need for them to desist from it.

He also urged women whose partners are luring them into such dangerous behaviors to quit the relationship.

Francis Opoku Amoah stated again that, the rehabilitation centers in the Country are not enough to help treat some of these people who have become drug addict which is also a major problem in helping victims.

Again, he added that the law that changed their name from Narcotics Control Board to Narcotics Control Commission has also reviewed punishment given to those who are arrested for engaging in hard drug

“At first when one is arrested for engaging in hard drugs is arraigned before court and when found guilty, he or she is given at five years imprisonment but now with the new law, people who are arrested for engaging in hard drug, they are taken to court and the judges together with doctors will have to examine the fellow and they will recommend if she or she should be taken to a rehabilitation center.”

He concluded that, the new law allows persons arrested on drugs to be sent to rehabs rather than imprisonment.

Source: Myjoyonline.com

Leave feedback about this

  • Quality
  • Price
  • Service

PROS

+
Add Field

CONS

+
Add Field
Choose Image
Choose Video
×

Radio Tamale WhatsApp Chat

× Chat?