July 21, 2024
P.O.Box 613ER Gombilla House, Lamashegu Market, Tamale, Northern Region

Challenging Heights Commemorates World Day Against Child Labour In Tamale

Challenging Heights in collaboration with RAINS, CALID and CCEYD, has commemorated the 2024 World Day Against Child Labour with an event to raise awareness of the menace and effects on children in Northern Ghana.

The organisation has been at the forefront of addressing child labour, and modern slavery and supporting mandated state agencies to rescue children affected by child labour and its worst forms and provide rehabilitation, and reintegration support with complimentary literacy and vocational skills training.

As Challenging Heights joins the global community on World Day Against Child Labour under the theme “Let’s act on our commitments: End Child Labour,” set out a bold aim to make child labour especially those resulting from trafficking, a thing of the past, and to celebrate children’s rights across the country.

Speaking at the commemoration of the 2024 World Day against child labour in Tamale, the Programs Director of Challenges Hights, Enock Dery Pufaa, revealed the organisation after recognizing the high prevalence of child labour in Northern Ghana, has set up a Northern Ghana Programs Office in Tamale to facilitate the advocacy and awareness creation drive and bring behavioural change. This was preceded by an action which revealed that poverty, weak law enforcement and low knowledge were the key drivers of child labour in Northern Ghana.

According to the 2021 Population and Housing Census report, approximately 230,000 children, or 3.2% of those aged 5-14, are involved in economic activities.

The Savannah region according to records has the highest rate of child involvement in agriculture at 89.8%. Hence, there is a need for more efforts to be committed to fighting all forms of child labour in Ghana.

The evidence available also shows that there are about two million children between 5-17 years engaged in child labour activities, with the situation being more prevalent in rural areas. Out of these working children, almost 80% are engaged in agriculture-related activities while the remaining 20% operate in the fishing industry.

Data from the United Nations also indicates that globally, 1 in 10 children (translating to 160 million children) are engaged in acts that can be described as child labour.

While the global prevalence of child labour has declined by some 40%, it is still prevalent in the Africa region where 72 million children (i.e., one-fifth of all children) are estimated to be engaged in child labour. Yet, only 0.4% of Africa’s gross domestic product is spent on the social protection of children.

As a country, Ghana has made some commendable strides in the fight against child labour. The country was the first to ratify the UN’s Convention on the Rights of the Child, as well as other key international instruments, including the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACRWC), the ILO Conventions on Minimum Age, 1973 (Convention No. 138), and on the Worst Forms of Child Labour, 1999 (Convention No. 182).

Additionally, it has endorsed the Palermo Protocol and relevant ECOWAS Protocols, as well as the ECOWAS Child Policy and Strategic Plan of Action. Subsequently, there was the adoption of the first National Plan of Action which spanned 2009 and 2015.

After the adoption of the sustainable development goals, Ghana developed the second National Plan of Action (2017-2021) to end the worst forms of child labour. Despite these efforts, child labour remains a pervasive social problem in Ghana.

Leave feedback about this

  • Quality
  • Price
  • Service

PROS

+
Add Field

CONS

+
Add Field
Choose Image
Choose Video
×

Radio Tamale WhatsApp Chat

× Chat?